Monday, March 27, 2017

I love Costco, but....

Since opening on August 22, 2015 in Izumi City, Costco has quickly become my favorite place to shop in Toyama Prefecture. You have probably been to a Costco  at least once so you know it has a cheap food court with free drink refills (フリードリンク), free samples of fruits, desserts & cooked meats, and the most products - really big products - in any brick & mortar store (実店舗) nowadays.

Of course, I love Costco for the above reasons, too, plus it helps me reconnect with my American roots. Every time I enter the store, I take a deep breath and mutter under my breath, "Now this is America," even though I'm on some mountain in the middle of nowhere in Izumi City.

However, the biggest reason I'm such a fan of Costco is because I'm a health food nut, and Costco has some of the biggest, healthiest foods you can buy in the world.

Take flax seeds, for example. I don't know anywhere else in Toyama you can even find them. So when Costco offers a 425 gram/15 ounce bag of them, you can bet I'm going to buy that bag and put those flax seeds in my yogurt, oatmeal and protein shakes.

And that's where the problem starts. It takes a while to eat that many flax seeds so the zip-lock on the bag is very important to keep them fresh.

However - and this might just be me - I have the hardest time getting my big Costco bags to close properly. So I use a lot of rubber bands (輪ゴム) to keep everything fresh.

I know the individual companies are to blame for not making their zip-locks work right, but since Costco is the one selling them under one roof, it bears the most blame. Hence this blog.

Still, I'd rather have too many flax seeds than none at all, which was the case in Toyama prior to August 22, 2015. I guess I'll just need to buy a large box of rubber bands. And I know just the place!

John
www.englishimpact.com
Like me (いいね) on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @Englishimpact

No comments:

Post a Comment